An essentials box.
These items are often the most needed, and most regularly packed away. Have a few boxes clearly marked and easily accessible with these things in to make the move and first few nights as simple and stress-free as possible:
- Bottled water, dried snacks and simple food stuffs for your first few meals – keep this super easy to eat and prepare.
- Napkins, paper towels, disposable plates, bowls, and utensils – don’t get out the real stuff until there’s a place for it.
- Torches, keys, wallets, phones and charging cords. You should consider setting a designated spot for these things. (in the chaos, they’re easily lost). Bring a basket and make it the home for all these items.
- Light bulbs, toilet paper, soap and hand sanitiser.
- Cloth rags, all-purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, floor cleaner, bucket, sponges, broom, dustpan, towels and a vacuum cleaner.
An overnight bag.
Imagine you’re going out of town for the weekend and pack a separate bag with these things. This means no matter how much is unpacked and ready on the first morning in your new house – you’ll be ready to go. Some suggestions below:
- Pillows, blankets and bedding.
- Extra sleeping stuff (blankies or cuddly toys), nightlights and blackout curtains for the kids (if needed).
- Pyjamas and several changes of clothes.
- Basic toiletries.
- Hand towels and bath towels.